Top 10 Signs That Your Spouse Is Moving Away From The Relationship: So That You Can Decide What To Do Next.
When you hear about the horror stories of someone you know breaking up or divorcing, how many of them resort to the line that they just seemed to ‘grow apart’ as a couple? Probably one time too many
No matter how perfect things seem to be, there will come a time during your marriage that you will feel as if your spouse is moving away from the relationship. What are you supposed to do at this point? Naturally, you would want to work things out at first. If you find out that your husband or wife is merely going through a phase and is not yet indulging in an extramarital affair, then you can still find it in you to work things out.
The other side of the coin, however, is that you find out that the feeling that you have of your spouse moving away from the relationship is actually caused by infidelity. At this point, you either try to work things out, keep your distance from each other for a trial separation, or end things with a divorce.
Top 10 Signs that Your Husband or Wife is Moving Away from the Relationship
So what are the top signs that your husband or wife is moving away from the relationship? Take a look at the following list:
1. You begin to question whether you and your spouse are still in love. At the onset of your relationship, it seems as if you are looking at the world through rose-coloured glasses. After you say your “I do’s”, however, things begin to change. If you feel as if your spouse has lost that passion about you or about your relationship in general, it could be a sign that he or she is moving away from you emotionally.
2. Your spouse stops talking about feelings. For women, it is quite easy to talk about the emotional aspect of your relationship – but the same thing does not hold true for men. If you start comparing your own husband with your friend’s spouse or if you need to force him to talk about his feelings – these could be red alert signals that he is moving away from the relationship.
3. Your spouse becomes cold – emotionally and physically. Physical intimacy is a major aspect of any relationship. If you feel that your spouse is being cold about the prospect of your tangling the sheets together, it could be a sign that your husband or wife is withdrawing from you and the relationship itself. The same thing holds true for the emotional withdrawal, something which wives are experts in detecting.
4. Your spouse expresses a sudden need for privacy. A sudden and extreme change in your spouse’s behavior should definitely be a cause for alarm. For example, if your husband expresses a sudden need for privacy – whether it’s in his e-mail password, his text messages, phone calls, credit card usage – these are surefire signs that he is moving away from the relationship.
5. Your spouse has extreme changes in work habits. Moving away from the relationship could equate to your spouse instinctively separating from you emotionally – either because there’s a prospective third party in the horizon or something already happened. If your spouse stays at work later than usual, it could be an indication of negativity in your relationship.
6. Secretive phone calls and other red light signs to watch out for. Mysterious phone calls which last way into the night is a red light signal that something’s not right with your relationship.
7. Your spouse’s behavior just does not add up. When your spouse is more attentive than usual, it could be that the behavior is a cover-up for guilt feelings.
8. Your spouse using a lot of ‘you’ and ‘should’ instead of we, us or our. Subconsciously, your spouse may be using a lot of you and should in his or her way of speaking. This is a clear sign of your spouse moving emotionally away from the relationship, especially if the conversation goes something like “You should stop blaming me” or “You should decide what’s best for the kids”.
9. Your spouse avoiding or not being affected at all by your arguments. Another sign that your spouse is moving away from the relationship is when he or she is not being affected at all by your arguments. In the same vein, avoidance of the issue could also be a clear sign that something’s wrong between the two of you – and sooner or later, you’ll be forced to address the issue head-on.
10. Your own instinct as a husband or a wife. Finally, follow your own instinct as a husband or a wife. Sure, women’s instincts may be stronger – but men can feel too if their wives are moving away from the relationship through sheer gut instinct.
When you recognize any of these signs that your spouse is moving away from the relationship, it is better to address the issue immediately rather than allowing the problems to pile up one after another. Whether you end up working things, taking a break or ending the relationship for good, at least you can both move on and take the next step towards straightening out your personal life.